By Adeesh Fulay
Rapid - implies the time it takes to clone the database. This is in minutes and not hours, days, or weeks.
Space Efficient - represents the significant reduction in storage (>90%) required for cloning databases
- 5 production databases total 30 TB of storage
- All 5 production databases have a standby
- Clones of the production database are required for data analysis and reporting
- 6 total clones across different teams every quarter
- For security reasons, sensitive data has to be masked prior to cloning
5 Standby DB = 30 TB
5 Masked DB = 30 TB (These will be used for creating clones)
6 Clones (6 * 30 TB) = 180 TB
Total = 270 TB
Time = days to weeks
- Lack of automation. Scripts are good but often not a long term solution.
- Traditional cloning techniques are slow while, existing storage vendor solutions are DBA unfriendly
- Data explosion often outpaces storage capacity and hurts ITs ability to provide clones for dev and testing
- Archaic processes that require multiple users to share a single clone, or only supports fixed refresh cycles
- Different priorities between DBAs and Storage admins
- Rapid and space efficient cloning of databases by leveraging storage copy-on-write (or similar) technology
- Supports all database versions from 10g to 12c
- Supports various storage vendors and configurations NAS and SAN
- Lineage and association tracking between clone master and its various clones and snapshots
- 'Time Travel' capability to restore and access past data
- Deep visibility into storage, OS, and database layer for easy triage of performance and configuration issues
- Simplified access for end user via out-of-the-box self service portal
- RESTful APIs to integrate with custom portals and third party products
- Ability to meter and charge back on the clone databases
5 Standby DB = 30 TB
5 Masked DB = 30 TB
6 Clones (6 * 5 * 2 GB) = 60 GB
- Application upgrade testing. For example, EBusiness suite upgrade to R12.
- Functional testing. For example, testing using production datasets.
- Agile development. For example, run parallel development sprints by giving each sprint its own cloned database.
- Data Analysis and Reporting. For example, stock market analysis at the close of market everyday.